Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Separation Due to Child's School Attendance

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

318. Separation Due to Child's School Attendance

318.1 Can a parent meet the in-care requirements when separated from a child because of the child's school attendance?

When the child's school attendance is the reason for your separation from a child under age 16, you may have a child in care if:

  1. The child is not under the sole control and jurisdiction of the school; and

  2. The child spends an annual vacation of at least 30 days with you (unless it is not possible for the child to return home during vacation).

318.2 Which parent is considered to have the child in care in the case of a separation?

If you are separated from the child's other parent, you may be found to have a child in care if:

  1. The child normally returns to you during vacations; and

  2. The school authorities look to you when they have a question concerning the child's welfare.

Last Revised: March, 2001

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

Good Article on Social Security Benefits for Divorced People

This is a good article which outlines Social Security benefits for divorced people. The article refers to "divorced women", but it also applies to divorced men (especially if the woman had higher earnings).

Excerpt :

The law says a divorced woman, who was married to her ex-husband for a minimum of 10 years, is due essentially the same benefits as a woman who is currently married to her husband.

National Social Security Advisor Certification Available

If you're looking for advice on Social Security benefits, it may be useful to find someone with the "National Social Security Advisor" certification.

Although the NSSA appears to be a privately issued certificate, it seems to convey some level of knowledge about Social Security benefits. Finding a financial advisor with NSSA certification may be something worth exploring.


Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration