Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

When No Spouse Living in Household

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

431. When No Spouse Living in Household

431.1 Who receives the lump-sum death payment if there is no spouse living in the household?

Providing he or she is entitled to or eligible for benefits as a widow(er), mother, or father for the month the worker dies, the lump-sum is payable to a surviving spouse not living with the deceased worker at time of death if:

  1. There is no spouse living in the same household with the worker when he or she died; or

  2. The surviving spouse dies before the lump-sum is paid.

431.2 Who is considered an "eligible" person?

An "eligible" person is one who would have been entitled to benefits had a timely application been filed.

431.3 Can the lump-sum be paid to a divorced spouse?

No, the lump-sum is not payable to a divorced spouse.

431.4 Who receives the lump-sum if there are two surviving spouses?

In rare situations, there may be two surviving spouses (e.g., one meets the requirement in §402 (A)(1) and the other meets the requirement in § 402 (A)(2)). Both spouses may be eligible for the lump-sum, even though neither was living in the same household as the worker when he or she died. In this situation, the lump-sum is equally divided between the spouses.

Last Revised: March, 2001


Recent Content

Good Article on Social Security Benefits for Divorced People

This is a good article which outlines Social Security benefits for divorced people. The article refers to "divorced women", but it also applies to divorced men (especially if the woman had higher earnings).

Excerpt :

The law says a divorced woman, who was married to her ex-husband for a minimum of 10 years, is due essentially the same benefits as a woman who is currently married to her husband.

National Social Security Advisor Certification Available

If you're looking for advice on Social Security benefits, it may be useful to find someone with the "National Social Security Advisor" certification.

Although the NSSA appears to be a privately issued certificate, it seems to convey some level of knowledge about Social Security benefits. Finding a financial advisor with NSSA certification may be something worth exploring.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration