Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Establishing Termination of Marriage

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

1719. Establishing Termination of Marriage

1719.1 How do you prove your marriage ended?

You prove that your marriage ended by providing:

  1. A certified copy of the divorce decree;

  2. A certified copy of the annulment decree; or

  3. A certified copy of the death certificate (or other proof of death, see §1720).

1719.2 What other evidence is acceptable?

If none of the above is available, you can submit any other evidence of investigative value. You must explain why none of the items above is available.

1719.3 Do you live in a state that restricts remarriage?

If your prior marriage ended by a divorce in a State that imposes a restriction on remarriage, you must show that your remarriage does not violate the restriction.

Last Revised: March, 2001


Recent Content

National Social Security Advisor Certification Available

If you're looking for advice on Social Security benefits, it may be useful to find someone with the "National Social Security Advisor" certification.

Although the NSSA appears to be a privately issued certificate, it seems to convey some level of knowledge about Social Security benefits. Finding a financial advisor with NSSA certification may be something worth exploring.

Good Article on Social Security Benefits for Divorced People

This is a good article which outlines Social Security benefits for divorced people. The article refers to "divorced women", but it also applies to divorced men (especially if the woman had higher earnings).

Excerpt :

The law says a divorced woman, who was married to her ex-husband for a minimum of 10 years, is due essentially the same benefits as a woman who is currently married to her husband.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration