Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Residence in a Restricted Country

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

1847. Residence in a Restricted Country

1847.1 What is a "restricted country"?

A restricted country is one to which payments cannot be sent to you or to anyone on your behalf either because of U.S. Treasury Department regulations or SSA restrictions.

1847.2 Can you receive benefits if you live in a restricted country?

If you live in a country where U.S. Treasury Department regulations prohibit payment, you cannot receive benefits, nor can we send your payments to anyone on your behalf or to a financial institution for you. No exceptions to the nonpayment policy can be made for U.S. Treasury Department restricted countries.

Generally, if you live in an SSA restricted country, you cannot receive payments while you are in one of these countries, nor can we send your payments to anyone on your behalf or to a financial institution for you. However, exceptions can be made to certain eligible beneficiaries in SSA restricted countries. For information on payments while you are outside the U.S., see

Last Revised: Sep. 10, 2007

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

Explanation of Windfall Elimination Provision and Social Security Benefits

This is a very good article which explains, in common language, the reason for the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). WEP may be called "double dipping" in common terms.

The article also gives an overview of how Social Security provides a better "rate of return" to low income workers.

Excerpts :

But in a nutshell, I can tell you that Maria’s $1,150 benefit represents about 90 percent of her average lifetime monthly wage. Whereas Frank’s $2,400 Social Security check is probably about 40 percent of his average monthly pre-retirement income.

Can Prisoners Receive Social Security?

In the 1970s and earlier, prisoners were able to receive Social Security benefits. However, nowadays, people convicted of a crime and doing time in prison in general can not receive Social Security benefits.

Excerpt :

Or to be more precise, benefits are suspended if someone is convicted of a criminal offense and sent to jail or prison for more than 30 continuous days. Notice that conviction is the key. Lots of people end up in jails while they are awaiting trial or pleas. But until there is a conviction with prison time involved, benefits will continue.

One-Page Overview of Social Security Disability

Here's a good overview of Social Security disability which answers the following questions :

Who does the SSA consider disabled?

What is the SSA’s definition of disability?

What evidence does the SSA require to prove my medical condition?

What if my medical condition is not in the Blue Book?

Does the SSA have any other requirements for disability benefits?

What if I am able to earn a small income?

If I am unable to work, am I guaranteed disability benefits?

Sponsored Links


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration