Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Refunds of Overpayments

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

1908. Refunds of Overpayments

1908.1 When are refunds of overpayments requested?

We request refunds as soon as the overpayment is detected.

1908.2 How should refund payments be made?

If you were overpaid, make your refund payment by check or money order to "Social Security Administration, Claim No. __." For RSDI debts, and for SSI debts when the SSI individual is not receiving monthly payments, we accept credit card refund payments. We will provide a pre-addressed envelope for return of the check, money order, or credit card authorized form. Refund payments are sent to the Social Security Administration, Mid-Atlantic Program Service Center, P.O. Box 3430, Philadelphia, PA 19122-9985.

1908.3 What happens if SSA does not receive the full refund?

If we do not receive a full refund, we may withhold benefits as described in §1910 in an amount required to cover the overpayment. (See §134 for return of benefit checks.) If you do not send the full refund and the overpayment cannot be withheld from benefits as described in §1910, you may arrange an installment plan of repayment. If you have a SSI overpayment and if you receive SSA payments after your SSI payments end, we will adjust your SSA benefits to recover your SSI overpayment.

1908.4 What should be done with uncashed benefit checks?

If an overpayment has been made, return any benefit checks on hand.

Last Revised: Jul. 25, 2006


Recent Content

Before Freezing Credit, Consider Opening Social Security Online Account

A report states that, in order to establish an online Social Security account at, the Social Security Administration must have access to your credit report to verify your identification.

Thus, before freezing your credit (to mitigate the risk of recent hacks), consider setting up an account at first.

National Social Security Advisor Certification Available

If you're looking for advice on Social Security benefits, it may be useful to find someone with the "National Social Security Advisor" certification.

Although the NSSA appears to be a privately issued certificate, it seems to convey some level of knowledge about Social Security benefits. Finding a financial advisor with NSSA certification may be something worth exploring.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration