Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Change Social Security Number

In general, the Social Security Administration will NOT give you a new Social Security number.

However, if you meet one of the exceptions below, you will have to visit your Social Security office or card center.

Generally, they will only give you a new Social Security in the following circumstances :

  • Sequential numbers have been assigned to members of the same family and are causing problems;
  • More than one person has been assigned, or is using, the same number;
  • An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number;
  • A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number; or
  • Situations of harassment, abuse, or life endangerment, including domestic violence, has occurred.

To apply for a new number:

Step 1: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

Step 2: Gather documents proving:

  • Identity;
  • U.S. citizenship;
  • Immigration status;
  • Age (birth certificate or U.S. passport);
  • Evidence of legal name change; and
  • Evidence to support your need for a new Social Security number.

Step 3: Take your completed application and documentation to your local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. The SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.


Recent Content

Explanation of Windfall Elimination Provision and Social Security Benefits

This is a very good article which explains, in common language, the reason for the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). WEP may be called "double dipping" in common terms.

The article also gives an overview of how Social Security provides a better "rate of return" to low income workers.

Excerpts :

But in a nutshell, I can tell you that Maria’s $1,150 benefit represents about 90 percent of her average lifetime monthly wage. Whereas Frank’s $2,400 Social Security check is probably about 40 percent of his average monthly pre-retirement income.

Tips on Filing for Social Security Benefits

This is a good article with several tips on when and how to apply for Social Security benefits.

When to file :

* For a retirement or Medicare claim, file three months before you want your benefits to begin.

* For disability, file as soon as possible.

You can largely file online, with the notable exception of a survivor claim for a widow, widower or surviving child. Call Social Security to schedule an appointment.

One-Page Overview of Social Security Disability

Here's a good overview of Social Security disability which answers the following questions :

Who does the SSA consider disabled?

What is the SSA’s definition of disability?

What evidence does the SSA require to prove my medical condition?

What if my medical condition is not in the Blue Book?

Does the SSA have any other requirements for disability benefits?

What if I am able to earn a small income?

If I am unable to work, am I guaranteed disability benefits?

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration