Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Replace Social Security Card (Adult)

This is to replace an adult's Social Security card. The procedure is a bit different to replace a child's Social Security card.

If you need to replace a lost or stolen Social Security card, you must visit a Social Security office or card center, or you must mail in necessary documents.

To obtain a replacement Social Security card :

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

  • Identity; and
  • U.S. citizenship or current work-authorized* immigration status.

*A noncitizen not permitted to work must show the SSA a letter from a federal, state or local government agency that explains the need for a number and meet all the requirements for a benefit.

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

The SSA does not charge to replace a card, although there is a limit of three per calendar year and 10 in a lifetime.

There are third party services which may offer to help with Social Security card replacement. We feel these services are similar to tax filing services. You can "do it yourself" for free or pay a service for assistance. Your choice.


Recent Content

Three Questions to Ask Before Claiming Social Security

1. Am I in good health?

If yes, consider deferring benefits.

2. Will my claim affect anyone else?

Higher-earning spouses often benefit by waiting until their full retirement age or later to sign up for Social Security.

3. How reliant will I be on Social Security income?

If you don't have much in savings, and are in good health, consider continuing to work.

What is the Maximum Social Security Retirement Check?

The average Social Security check is $1,372 per month, or $16,464 per year.

The highest Social Security check when initiating benefits at "full retirement age" (age 66 if you were born between 1943 and 1954) is $2,788 a month, or $33,456 a year.

The highest Social Security check when initiating benefits at age 70 is $3,680 a month, or $44,162 a year.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration