Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Filing an Application

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at


1500. Filing an Application

1500.1 Why do you need to file an application for benefits?

You must file an application to:

  1. Become entitled to benefits, including Medicare;

  2. Establish a period of disability under the retirement, survivors, and disability insurance programs; or

  3. Become eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments.

1500.2 How do you apply for benefits?

Fill out the application on a form issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA). (See §1511.) File the completed and signed application form at a Social Security office or with a person authorized by us to receive applications. If you need an interpreter to communicate with us, we will provide one upon request, free of charge. SSA has a nationwide contract for telephone interpreter services in more than 150 languages and dialects. Based on SSA's signature alternatives to the traditional pen-and-ink signature, for teleclaims and in-person Title II, Title XVI, and Title XVIII (Medicare) claims, the application is signed once the SSA interviewer confirms and annotates the system electronically of the claimant's intent to file, his or her affirmation of the correctness of the information that is provided under penalty of perjury, and agreement to sign the application. (See §§1505-1506 and 1511-1512.) When the signature is recorded electronically, it is no longer necessary for SSA to retain the paper application. Also, some applications for Social Security benefits are available to you on our Internet website, therefore, you can apply for some Social Security benefits online. For claims that are filed on the Internet website the application is signed when you press the "Sign Now" button.

1500.3 Do you have to file an application for hospital and medical insurance if you are 65 or older?

If you are age 65 or older and entitled to monthly benefits under Social Security or railroad retirement, you are automatically entitled to hospital insurance and medical insurance. You do not need to file a separate application for these benefits. If you are eligible for monthly benefits and are age 65 or older, you may apply for hospital insurance (Medicare Part A) and medical insurance (Medicare Part B) without applying for monthly benefits.

If you are age 65 or older and not entitled to monthly benefits under Social Security or railroad retirement, you need to file an application for hospital and medical insurance. You must be willing to pay the monthly premiums involved. (See Chapter 24.)

1500.4 Where can you find additional information about hospital and medical insurance benefits, the prescription drug benefit and extra help with prescription drug costs?

Chapter 24 includes information concerning entitlement to hospital and medical insurance (Medicare) for persons entitled to disability benefits and persons with end-stage renal disease requiring renal dialysis or kidney transplant. It also includes information about the prescription drug benefit. Chapter 26 includes information about extra help with prescription drug costs.

Last Revised: Aug. 2, 2007

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

National Social Security Advisor Certification Available

If you're looking for advice on Social Security benefits, it may be useful to find someone with the "National Social Security Advisor" certification.

Although the NSSA appears to be a privately issued certificate, it seems to convey some level of knowledge about Social Security benefits. Finding a financial advisor with NSSA certification may be something worth exploring.

Before Freezing Credit, Consider Opening Social Security Online Account

A report states that, in order to establish an online Social Security account at, the Social Security Administration must have access to your credit report to verify your identification.

Thus, before freezing your credit (to mitigate the risk of recent hacks), consider setting up an account at first.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration