Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

When does a parent NOT meet the in-care requirements?

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

315. When does a parent NOT meet the in-care requirements?

You do not meet the in-care requirements (see §312) (whether based on "parental control and responsibility" (see §313) or "personal services" (see §314)) if:

  1. The child is age 16 or over (unless the child is disabled); or

  2. You and the child are not living together and any of the following conditions are met:

    1. You and your spouse are separated or divorced and you have lost or given up your right to control the child;

    2. You are mentally disabled;

    3. The child was removed from your custody and control by court order;

    4. You have given up the right to custody and control of the child to some other person or agency;

    5. The separation is for a period of more than six months and the child is age 16 or over and physically disabled; or

    6. The child is under the jurisdiction of a court appointed guardian (of the child's person) other than the claimant.

Last Revised: Feb. 4, 2008


Recent Content

Good Article on Social Security Benefits for Divorced People

This is a good article which outlines Social Security benefits for divorced people. The article refers to "divorced women", but it also applies to divorced men (especially if the woman had higher earnings).

Excerpt :

The law says a divorced woman, who was married to her ex-husband for a minimum of 10 years, is due essentially the same benefits as a woman who is currently married to her husband.

National Social Security Advisor Certification Available

If you're looking for advice on Social Security benefits, it may be useful to find someone with the "National Social Security Advisor" certification.

Although the NSSA appears to be a privately issued certificate, it seems to convey some level of knowledge about Social Security benefits. Finding a financial advisor with NSSA certification may be something worth exploring.

Sponsored Links


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration