Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Certificate of Election for Husband or Wife Between Ages 62 and FRA-Child "In Care"

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

729. Certificate of Election for Husband or Wife Between Ages 62 and FRA-Child "In Care"

729.1 When is a certificate of election filed to reduce husband's or wife's insurance benefits?

You may file a certificate of election to receive reduced spouse's insurance benefits if you were receiving unreduced (full) insurance benefits that are suspended because a child under age 16 or disabled is no longer in your care.

729.2 When does the certificate of election become effective?

The certificate of election is effective for any month in which you are:

  1. Between age 62 and full retirement age;

  2. Entitled to husband's or wife's insurance benefits; and

  3. Do not have in care a child (under age 16 or disabled) of the worker entitled to a child's insurance benefit.

729.3 Is the certification of election retroactive?

The certificate of election may be retroactive for as many as 12 months before the month you file it.

729.4 How long will the reduced spouse's benefit be payable?

Once you receive reduced spouse's insurance benefits, your insurance benefit rate will continue to be payable even after you reach full retirement age. The reduced benefits will continue as long as there is no entitled child in your care.

Last Revised: Feb. 17, 2006


Recent Content

Explanation of Windfall Elimination Provision and Social Security Benefits

This is a very good article which explains, in common language, the reason for the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). WEP may be called "double dipping" in common terms.

The article also gives an overview of how Social Security provides a better "rate of return" to low income workers.

Excerpts :

But in a nutshell, I can tell you that Maria’s $1,150 benefit represents about 90 percent of her average lifetime monthly wage. Whereas Frank’s $2,400 Social Security check is probably about 40 percent of his average monthly pre-retirement income.

Tips on Filing for Social Security Benefits

This is a good article with several tips on when and how to apply for Social Security benefits.

When to file :

* For a retirement or Medicare claim, file three months before you want your benefits to begin.

* For disability, file as soon as possible.

You can largely file online, with the notable exception of a survivor claim for a widow, widower or surviving child. Call Social Security to schedule an appointment.

One-Page Overview of Social Security Disability

Here's a good overview of Social Security disability which answers the following questions :

Who does the SSA consider disabled?

What is the SSA’s definition of disability?

What evidence does the SSA require to prove my medical condition?

What if my medical condition is not in the Blue Book?

Does the SSA have any other requirements for disability benefits?

What if I am able to earn a small income?

If I am unable to work, am I guaranteed disability benefits?

Can Prisoners Receive Social Security?

In the 1970s and earlier, prisoners were able to receive Social Security benefits. However, nowadays, people convicted of a crime and doing time in prison in general can not receive Social Security benefits.

Excerpt :

Or to be more precise, benefits are suspended if someone is convicted of a criminal offense and sent to jail or prison for more than 30 continuous days. Notice that conviction is the key. Lots of people end up in jails while they are awaiting trial or pleas. But until there is a conviction with prison time involved, benefits will continue.


Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration