Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Submitting a "Request for Reconsideration"

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

532. Submitting a "Request for Reconsideration"

You or your representative should request a date-stamped copy from the local SSA field office. You should keep this copy with all of your other case-related records. This gives you proof of the date that you filed your appeal. You may mail your appeal forms to the SSA office certified with a return receipt request to ensure that the date stamped copy of the certification reply will be sent to you or your representative.

Last Revised: Jul. 26, 2005

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

Seven Social Security Myths

1. Social Security will cover my income needs

2. It's better to take Social Security benefits early

3. I'll receive full benefits at 65

4. Once I start benefits, I can’t work anymore

5. I won't pay taxes on Social Security

6. Once I start Social Security, I have to continue receiving it

7. My divorce will reduce my benefits

Sponsored Links


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration