Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Services Normally Provided by Landlords

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

1217. Services Normally Provided by Landlords

1217.1 What services are normally provided by landlords?

Services normally provided by landlords include furnishing heat, light, water, elevators, painting, repairing and redecorating, maintaining and replacing items furnished, collecting trash and garbage, cleaning hallways, common bathrooms, and entrances and cleaning the premises after the tenant leaves. These types of services are not considered personal services for the convenience of the occupant; rather, they are ordinary services performed by landlords.

1217.2 If these services are provided, is rental income counted as earnings?

When you provide these services to your tenants, the rental income is not counted as earnings.

Last Revised: March, 2001



There are 2 Comments

I was wanting to know if I may have rental property and if so how much money am I allowed to draw before it cost me my bennifits. I file a tax form each year and have an accountent but i dont make that much and really i plan to use it as an investment for later years. could you please inform me as of how much i can make and let me. I just find it to hard to live on such a small amount of money. I have noone to help and I have a lot of health problems.
Thank You

I did not see hard rules saying that if you have rental income you will be disqualified from Social Security disability benefits.

However, if you receive SSI, in general you must report all income and assets and these may definitely curtail your SSI benefit.

In general, if a Social Security form asks about your income, you will have to include rental income. To omit rental income may constitute fraus.

Your rental income may cause Social Security benefits to be taxed. Some people who get Social Security have to pay taxes on their benefits. About one-third of current beneficiaries pay taxes on their benefits. You will be affected only if you have substantial income in addition to your Social Security benefits.

* If you file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your income is more than $25,000, you have to pay taxes.

* If you file a joint return, you may have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a combined income that is more than $32,000.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration