Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Evidence Needed to Change Earnings Record

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

1421. Evidence Needed to Change Earnings Record

1421.1 Can your earnings record be corrected?

Your earnings record can be corrected (subject to the requirements in §§1424-1425 if the time limit has passed) if there is acceptable evidence of wages paid to you.

1421.2 What evidence is acceptable?

The evidence may be a statement signed by your employer, Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement), pay envelopes or pay slips, or personal records of your wages. (See §§1726-1733 for a discussion of how to establish wages.)

1421.3 How can self-employed people establish earnings?

If you are self-employed, you may establish earnings by submitting a copy of your tax return. Include the applicable schedules (see §1416) and evidence that your return was filed timely with IRS in a timely manner. Evidence of filing your return includes canceled checks, IRS receipts, or other evidence of payment of tax shown on your return.

1421.4 How can partnerships establish earnings?

If a partnership is involved, a copy of Form 1065 should also be furnished.

Last Revised: March, 2001

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

Suze Orman's Advice to Delay Social Security Benefits Until Age 70 is Too Broad

Noted financial adviser Suze Orman says most folks should begin Social Security retirement benefits at age 70.

However, this is poor advice if you're in poor health or if you're a notably lower-earning spouse relative to your husband or wife. Ideally, the spouse with the substantially higher lifetime earnings will let their benefit accrue at 8% per year until age 70.

Sponsored Links


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration