Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Extension of Time for Filing Annual Report of Earnings

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

1816. Extension of Time for Filing Annual Report of Earnings

1816.1 Can you get an extension for filing your annual report of earnings?

We may grant an extension of time for filing your annual report of earnings if there is a valid reason. You (or someone acting on your behalf) must make a written request for an extension before your annual report is due.

1816.2 What are examples of valid reasons for getting an extension?

A valid reason is a real need, problem, or situation that makes it impossible or difficult for you to file your annual report by the regular due date. A valid reason may be:

  1. Illness or disability;

  2. Absence or travel so far from home that you do not have and cannot readily obtain records needed to file your report;

  3. Inability to get evidence you need from another source;

  4. Inability of an accountant to compile the data needed for your report; or

  5. Any similar situation that has a direct bearing on your obligation to file your annual report.

1816.3 What happens if you are granted an extension?

If we grant your request for an extension, we will set a new due date for your annual report. You will receive a written notice of the approved extended reporting date. If you need another extension, you must make your request before the due date of your new approved reporting date.

1816.4 What is the maximum amount of time you can receive for an extension?

More than one extension may be granted in a taxable year. However, the total amount of time of all extensions granted for any one taxable year cannot be more than four months. This is so you avoid a penalty (see §1820) for late reporting when you know your annual report will be unavoidably late.

Last Revised: March, 2001

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

Seven Social Security Myths

1. Social Security will cover my income needs

2. It's better to take Social Security benefits early

3. I'll receive full benefits at 65

4. Once I start benefits, I can’t work anymore

5. I won't pay taxes on Social Security

6. Once I start Social Security, I have to continue receiving it

7. My divorce will reduce my benefits


Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration