Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

marriage- name change

My fiance and I are getting married next week, and I will be changing my name. When I go to the Social Security office, can I use the copy of my marriage certificate signed by our officiant on the day of the ceremony? Or do I have to wait until I request and receive a certified copy of the certificate from the court house?

Additionally, is there any waiting time between going to the Social Security office and having my name officially changed? In other words, will my name be legally changed the same day I go into the Social Security office?

We are going to settlement on our house very soon after our ceremony and I want to find out how fast I can get my name changed, or if I will have to settle on the house in my maiden name.


Sponsored Links

Recent Content

Common Mistakes About Social Security

A recent poll found about half of respondents made mistakes on the following :

1. Retirement benefits will not be reduced if I claim at age 65 => FALSE. Full retirement age is rising.

2. A spouse can receive Social Security even if they have no earnings history => TRUE

3. If my spouse dies, that will have no effect on my Social Security payment => FALSE

4. Social Security benefits depend only on my earnings history, not when I claim => FALSE

Four Common Social Security Claiming Mistakes

1. Not knowing your full retirement age (FRA). 'Full benefit' retirement age is rising beyond age 65 to age 67.

2. Not knowing you can file for benefits three months in advance of receiving income

3. Forgetting Social Security benefits can be subject to income tax.

4. Thinking early filers can later receive 'full benefits'. If filing early, your benefits are permanently reduced.

Sponsored Links


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration