Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration



There are 12 Comments

I did not get my 1099. What can I do about it

Social Security Benefit Statements (SSA-1099 and SSA-1042) are issued by January 31 of each year. If you did not receive your SSA-1099, you can request a replacement online.

However, if you need a replacement SSA-1099 (or SSA-1042S) for a tax year prior to 2010, you must call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

My sister who just passed away on wednesday feb 23 was receiving SSDI payments. I'd like to inform you she's died but don't know the protocol. There doesn't seem to be an option on the phone network nor on sight. Who and how do I inform you of her death, and what must I do to prove it? I have death certificates.

The phone network for this system sucks. What a f*@!in nightmare. Thank goodness for prompt and efficiant government services.

My S.S. card has not come in yet and I filed for a name change on my card two months ago and I haven't recieved the card or anything about it yet. What do I need to do?

This doesn't apply directly to your case, but I found a chart which outlines the number of weeks it takes for a newborn to receive a Social Security number. For some states (HI, LA), the time can be 7-9 weeks.

Enumeration at Birth: Average Processing Time in Weeks

For the period October 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010

State 	Wks     State 	Wks 	State 	Wks 	State 	Wks 	State 	Wks
AK 	3 	AL 	2 	AR 	5 	AZ 	2 	CA 	2
CO 	2 	CT 	2 	DC 	4 	DE 	2 	FL 	2
GA 	3 	HI 	7 	IA 	3 	ID 	3 	IL 	5
IN 	2 	KS 	2 	KY 	6 	LA 	9 	MA 	2
MD 	2 	ME 	3 	MI 	2 	MN 	1 	MO 	3
MS 	3 	MT 	2 	NC 	6 	ND 	2 	NE 	2
NH 	2 	NJ 	2 	NM 	3 	NV 	4 	NYC 	2
NY 	2 	OH 	2 	OK 	2 	OR 	2 	PA 	2
PR 	4 	RI 	3 	SC 	1 	SD 	2 	TN 	5
TX 	1 	UT 	2 	VA 	3 	VT 	2 	WA 	3
WI 	4 	WV 	4 	WY 	3 	Average: 3 weeks

My father died in 1986, neither my sister or I were eligible for survivor benefits because we were both over the age of 18. To my knowledge my mother does not collect on his benefits, what happened to the money that he paid in. If he does not have children who are young enough or a spouse that collects, does the government just get to keep that money? He died when he was 48 and was making in the 6 figures for several years prior to his death, so he paid in alot of money. I have always wondered if when that happens, what happens to the money.

I won't claim to know the intent of the Social Security Act, but I'd say Social Security survivor benefits are meant to provide income to those who can not work to support themselves. This means survivor benefits go to :

  • Minor children under age 18.
  • A widow or widower can receive benefits at any age if she or he takes care of a child who is receiving Social Security benefits and younger than age 16 or disabled.
  • A widow or widower may be able to receive full survivor benefits at full retirement age. Reduced widow or widower benefits can be received as early as age 60, and at age 50 if disabled.
  • Dependent parents who depended on the deceased can receive benefits if they are age 62 or older.

In other words, unlike most commercial life insurance, Social Security survivor benefits aren't a simple lump sum or annuity that you'd receive at time of death irrespective of your life situation.

So even if your mother didn't work a day in her life, she likely will qualify for (reduced) survivor benefits at age 60 (50 if disabled). If she did work, she'll get the higher benefit from either her work record or your father's work record.

What services am I entitled to other than medicaid while receiving ssi/disability benefits?

If you get SSI, you also may be able to get help from your state or county. For example, you may be able to get Medicaid, food stamps or other social services. Call your local social services department or public welfare office for information about the services available in your community.

My father passed away in 1982 when I was 10 months. My mother never got assistance or a check for me as I grew up. Benefits from my father never went to me and I was under the age of 18. She is about to start collecting on her deceased husband that passed away a few years ago. She chose his instead of my fathers social security. Am I entitled to anything?


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration