Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Tax Increases Seen as Way to Fix Social Security

Social Security expert Laurence Kotlikoff thinks that mostly tax increases will be the way Social Security will be patched up in the future :

Excerpt :

I doubt Congress will cut benefits of current low- and middle-income retirees. And the benefit cuts levied on current rich beneficiaries will likely be implemented by making 100 percent, not 85 percent, of Social Security benefits taxable under the income tax. Congress will also likely eliminate the ceiling on taxable earnings.

Beware of Social Security Identity Theft Scam

Citizens across the country are receiving calls from an individual posing as a Social Security employee. The caller tells the victim they are due a 1.7 percent cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) increase of their Social Security benefits. The impersonator then asks the victim to verify their personal information to receive the increase. Reports show the calls have been coming from a phone number with a 323 area code. This call is fraudulent.

New Social Security Number or Card for Newborn Baby

In general, you can obtain a Social Security card for a newborn with the assistance of the hospital where the child is born.

The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child's information with us, and the SSA will mail the Social Security card to you.

If for some reason you can not work with a hospital for this, follow the steps below.

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

  • Child's identity; and
  • US citizenship if you have not established the child's US citizenship with the SSA
  • Immigration status if the child is not a US citizen.


Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Subscribe to MoneyHop. RSS

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration