Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Getting paid to take care of a disabled spouse

My husband is totally disabled and I work full time. My mother lives with me and she has alzheimers. It's getting to the point that I can hardly work and take care of both of them. I am at my breaking point. Is there a program that will pay me to stay home and care for both of them?



I assume your husband either already receives Social Security disability payments or you have fully explored receiving benefits based on his disability. I also assume you have explored either Social Security retirement or survivor benefits for your mother.

I am unaware of a federal government, full-time program similar to what you describe. States may provide some programs in this area. For example, California has a paid family leave program which allows for reduced pay for relatively short-term (six weeks) care of a newborn or adult needing assistance. Washington and New Jersey have similar but more limited programs.

There are indications that some companies provide some level of paid leave as a benefit. Check with your employer and the employee handbook.

Finally, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 provides for 12 weeks of unpaid family leave to workers that work at a business with 50 or more employees.

There is a way to get paid to take care of them .And it is thru social security.They just dont want you to know .I have beeen told about it ,a little bit but they dont want ya to.

If you have children in your care who receive Social Security benefits and are under age 18, you can receive a benefit until they reach age 16. The child's benefit continues until he or she reaches age 18, or 19 if he or she is still in school full time. Your monthly payments stop with the 16th birthday of your youngest child receiving Social Security benefits, unless the child is disabled and continues in your care.

I believe some states, such as California, have a program whereby one can be paid to care for an elderly family member (for example).

my wife gets paid to take care of our disabled dauter. also im disabled

who pays your wife for taking care of your daughter? i have tried a number of places and they dont know what im talking about. i have a disabled husband and son. money is real tight. please help

As stated in the comment "Getting paid to care for child" above, a child may qualify for Social Security benefits. To get benefits, a child must have:

  • A parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or
  • A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.

Although this is not "payment (wages) for taking care of a child", it is a benefit you may qualify for.

i have been trying to find info about this. i called social security and they said no.

I would recommend you start being treated for depression and then look into going on disability for depression. This sounds like a pretty depressing situation.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration