Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Are separate Social Security benefit checks mailed to each child in a family?

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

There are 9 Comments

I started recieving ss survivors benefits when i was seventeed, i ran away and the checks werent can i prove this and recieve my benefits for college??

My ex-husband receives SSDI and we have 3 children under 18 that are receiving auxiliary benefits. I have custody of the children so should be receiving the money for them. He never put me down to have the checks sent to me and instead has been writing me a personal check when he receives his money every month. (This is only month 2 that he has been getting benefits btw)

I am wondering if the social security office will talk to me regarding this. I believe he is holding back some of the amount I should be getting for the kids because last month was a lower amount than the check he wrote me for this month.

Any idea what I need to do to get this corrected to make sure my kids get the money they should have coming to them? He says he will do it but that is what he said last month too.

I suggest contacting Social Security directly for their advice, but you may want to consider requesting to be made the representative payee for the children.

The following two questions are excerpted from Form SSA-11 "Request to be Selected as Representative Payee". Based on what you've said (you have custody), you're arguably the best representative payee.

3. Explain why you would be the best representative payee.

4. If you are appointed payee, how will you know about the claimant's needs?
=> Live with me or in the institution I represent.

I receive benefits for my daughter what I had to do was show that I have custody of my child and that I want to be the payee for her not him since she is living with me. I would call the office to make an appointment and make sure to bring her social security number because they will need that. Bring the custody papers because without them they probably won't be able to change anything. Plus bring proof of address that shows it's different then his. If they are able to do the changes try to get direct deposit its better and no way that anyone can get a hold of the check. And if the changes are made make sure to find out exactly what the benefit amount is.

This childs biological mother kicked him out of her home 3 months ago, and he is living with a friend all along she has been receiving SS benefits that are his, he is receiving nothing, we take him food, he had nothing to start school with, one of his teachers gave him some shoes, that her husbnad had, no school supplies, she is living in a apartment raising her 2 daughters on this money, she did the same thing when they lived in knoxville tenn, and when they moved back to fl, its all the same thing all over,. What can we do for this kid.

My husband was recently (2 months) diagnosed case of ALS (Lou Gehrig). Obviously the diagnosis is fatal quit quickly. He is still working for 1 more month. Does he have to quit work before he can apply for benefits? I understand this process is long with multiple rejections. Is there anything we can do to hurry up this process, he doesn't have years for fight for these benefits.

It looks like Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS - Lou Gehrig's disease) is on Social Security's list of Compassionate Allowances Conditions.

Compassionate Allowances (CAL) are a way of quickly identifying diseases and other medical conditions that invariably qualify under the Listing of Impairments based on minimal objective medical information. Compassionate Allowances allow Social Security to quickly target the most obviously disabled individuals for allowances based on objective medical information that we can obtain quickly.

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration