Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

22. Black Lung Benefits

Excerpted from "Social Security Handbook". See the up-to-date, official Social Security Handbook at



There are 4 Comments

I am 57 yrs. old and was disabled in 2008, I think. I want to know if I am
allowed to draw regular social security from my first husband, whom I was married to for 18 yrs. My second marriage ended in divorce a few months of being 10 yrs. I presently receive $674 on SSI and $16 in food stamps. (EBT) I live with a wonderful boyfriend but we a just barely able to live on. He makes $9.00 an hour at his job. We are making due with only one car since his won't run. I am just trying to figure out a way to have a little more income.

If your ex-husband is living—

If you are divorced, you can receive benefits based on your ex-husband’s work if—

  • Your marriage lasted 10 years or longer;
  • You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefits you would receive on your husband’s work; and
  • Your ex-husband is entitled to Social Security
    retirement or disability benefits.

If he has not applied for benefits, but can qualify for them and is age 62 or older, you can receive benefits on his work if you have been divorced from him for at least two years.

If your ex-husband is deceased,
you can receive benefits—

  • At age 60, or age 50 if you are disabled, if your marriage lasted at least 10 years, and you are not entitled to a higher benefit on your own record.
  • At any age if you are caring for his child who also is your natural or legally adopted child and younger than 16 or disabled and entitled to benefits. Your benefits will continue until the child reaches age 16 or is no longer disabled. You can receive this benefit even though you were not married to your ex-husband for 10 years.

I was sexually assaulted last year. I had to go to trial to put my attacker away. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Since then I have been battling with severe PTSD. I have tried to go to those free mental health clinics and I can never deal with it..My hyper-vigilance and my Agoraphobia make it nearly impossible to attend my appointments. I have been stuck in this house for two years now, I never go outside and I want to know if I can qualify for SSI? I have no health insurance, therefore I cannot go to a Doctor to get evaluated. This is why I had tried a free clinic...My question is, how can I get evaluated by a Doctor so that I can apply for SSI? Do I just go to the Doctor, with no health insurance? I want to get on SSI so that I may in turn receive Medicaid. Medicaid can pay for my therapy and my medications...I am at such a loss, any advice is greatly appreciated.

It's certainly possible to qualify for either "normal" Social Security disability or SSI disability with an anxiety disorder. To qualify for "normal" disability, you need sufficient work history. This can be a relatively short period if you're young enough. To qualify for SSI disability, you need to have limited assets and income.

See here for details on anxiety disorders which may qualify.

Generally, it seems, you need some medical documentation to qualify for benefits. However, it seems like you can't see a doctor to do this. You may wish to contact a Social Security office (or call) to get their opinion on this.

You could possibly explore contacting a disability lawyer or similar professional. They may be willing to work on a contingency basis. In other words, they may help set you up with medical professionals etc., in exchange for a portion of any payment you may receive later. For example, the following is a post which seems to describe such a transaction (25 percent of award to the assisting counsel) :

Here's some basic links on applying for disability :

Bless you.

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration