Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

How do I find out my estimated benefits through my x- spouse's benefits?

I was married for 20 Years. I am not married. I am sure that my x-husbands estimated social securit y is much more than mine. I am 57 years old, and want to plan for my future. Is there a way I can find out what my estimated benefits are through his social security? I was told once, by a social securit employee that I could make an appointment with a social security office, and bring in my marriage liscense and divorce decree, and that I could find out. Now I have called social security, and thety said I can't find out until I file. I need to plan. Please let me know how I can find out this information. Thank You.



Here is a document relevant to your situation :

Unfortunately, I don't see reference on how to get ESTIMATED benefits for your situation.

One route you could try is see if benefits show up on your Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement (PEBES - also called "Social Security Statement"). This is a record of your earnings and Social Security taxes paid, along with benefit estimates. However, I suspect the benefit estimates for this are only for you, and won't include your ex-spouse's record. Here's how to request a copy of your PEBES :

You could also try using online benefit estimators like ours or Social Security's. You'd have to estimate your ex-spouse's salary. I'm not sure if ex-spousal benefits are the same as spousal benefits, but here's a statement about spousal benefits :

A spouse who has not worked or who has low earnings can be entitled to as much as one-half of the retired worker’s full benefit.

I have been married for 5 years. I am 63 and I am receiving early SS benefits based on my husband's SS Benefits. We are divorcing. Will I continue to receive benefits based on my ex-husband's benefits/?

I have not seen SSA documents which address your specific situation : What happens to benefits already initiated before divorce?

In general, if you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record. Based on this, I'd have to say that your benefit may be stopped since your marriage will not meet the 10-year test.

Even in this case, you may qualify for a higher benefit based on your own work record. Most working women in retirement get their own Social Security because it's more than one-third to one-half of the husband's rate.

Please contact the SSA directly for your case.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration