Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Replace Social Security Card for Child Under 12

This is to replace an child's Social Security card. The procedure is a bit different to replace an adult's Social Security card.

If you need to replace a lost or stolen Social Security card, you must visit a Social Security office or card center, or you must mail in necessary documents.

To obtain a replacement Social Security card :

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

  • Child's identity; and
  • US citizenship if you have not established the child's US citizenship with the SSA
  • Immigration status if the child is not a US citizen.

Step 2: Gather documents proving your:

  • Identity
  • Custody/relationship for the child

Step 3: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

Step 4: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

The SSA will mail your card as soon as they have verified all required documents. You should receive the card within 10 business days from the date on the receipt. The replacement card will have the same number as the previous card.

The SSA does not charge to replace a card, although there is a limit of three per calendar year and 10 in a lifetime.

There are third party services which may offer to help with Social Security card replacement. We feel these services are similar to tax filing services. You can "do it yourself" for free or pay a service for assistance. Your choice.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration