Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Can I get Fired New or Updated SS number?

Hello Friends,
I have been working as a full time sales clerk for a Retail Company in Orlando for 3 years now. I have good record with no write ups or warning.
My personal document was lost on a very tragic incident. I get report from police and I went to the social security administration office and explained to them what happened and they issue me with another social security card. However, they gave me a different SS number. I asked the clerk at the SS office if this will cause any issue, and he said “NO”. He advised me to go to bank, insurance, and job and give them my new social.
To make long story short. When I gave the ne SS to my manager, he submitted it to his superiors at HR dept. Now two weeks latter my manger came to me and wants to know why my SSN was changed and said that I must give him reason why it was change. I told him the tragic reason and he did not accept it. So I went to the SS office and explained to the same clerk who gave me the new SS card with the new SS number. The clerk at the office said that they do not give any document stating why people’s SS number has changed. He told me to go and tell my manager to verify that this new social is valid through the website and everything should be OK as long they saw as it is valid. So I went and told my manager that. Then my manager said that HR does not accept that and that they will fire me if they do not have a good explanation from SS office.
My closest friend said that HR maybe believing that the old social they have on my file is illegal that is why they want to know why it was changed. But I am not an illegal person!
What must I do now because social SS office not helping me.
Can they fire me for not giving an explanation from SS office?
Firing for an updated or changed security number?
What if I get fired?

Sponsored Links


It is relatively rare for the SSA to provide new Social Security numbers. If you do need a new Social Security number, you will need to prove your age, U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status and identity.

If you local office is not assisting, you may wish to call 1-800-772-1213. Call later in the week to avoid waits.

Retaining and showing any documents from the SSA regarding the new number should be helpful in proving your case.

Depending on the circumstances, you may want to pursue a wrongful termination case. This may require consultation with a legal or other advisor.

Does anybody knows how this case ended. Is it posible to get some sort of confirmation letter saying that hin ss # is valid and how can be done?

We have not seen anything further on this issue.

Note the following admonitions to employers from the SSA regarding issues such as this :

  • A mismatch is not a basis, in and of itself, for you to take any adverse action against an employee, such as laying off, suspending, firing or discriminating.
  • Company policy should be applied consistently to all workers.
  • Any employer that uses the failure of the information to match SSA records to take inappropriate adverse action against a worker may violate State or Federal law.
  • The information you receive from SSNVS does not make any statement regarding a worker's immigration status.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration