Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

How can I protect my Social Security number?

You should treat your Social Security number as confidential information and avoid giving it out unnecessarily. You should keep your Social Security card in a safe place with your other important papers. Do not carry it with you unless you need to show it to an employer or service provider.

We do several things to protect your number from misuse. For example, they require and carefully inspect proof of identity from people who apply to replace lost or stolen Social Security cards, or for corrected cards. One reason they do this is to prevent people from fraudulently obtaining Social Security numbers to establish false identities. they maintain the privacy of Social Security records unless:

  • The law requires them to disclose information to another government agency; or
  • Your information is needed to conduct Social Security or other government health or welfare program business.

You should be very careful about sharing your number and card to protect against misuse of your number. Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask:

  • Why your number is needed;
  • How your number will be used;
  • What happens if you refuse; and
  • What law requires you to give your number.

The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours


Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

There are 17 Comments

Today, I loss my credits, driver license, social security card and other Cards including Macy Card, Costco...ion my wallet at CVS store parking lot. around 8:10PM March 9, 2011.

What shall I do right now? please give me suggestion.

Best Regards,

I don't live with my mom and my father passed away, so i'm living with legal guardians. We do not have my social security card, but I have been assigned one before. Both of my guardians work and dont have the time to go to the SS office. Is there any way i could get a replacement card online and get the card mailed to my home?

My sister is hospitalized and the hospital needs a copy of her social security card. Went to a self service copy center and somehow the social security card got lost. The hospital requires her documentation right away. Is there any way I can obtain a replacement card the same day with appropriate authorization from her for me to do that for her and providing her passport as identification? Thank you for any help you can provide.

I have heard of same-day replacement when you visit your local Social Security office. However, since it sounds like the cardholder herself can't travel, you should first contact the office directly.

An incident has arisen where a judge gave a document to another party that contained my husbands SS# and demographic information. How should we proceed? Should we change his SS#?

I recommend contacting Social Security directly for this. Additionally, you may want to take action to protect your identity and financial accounts.

Found out the Social Security office has my birthday 1 day earlier than it actually is. Not my fault, looks to me like when it was entered wrong, when originally entered. Now I have learned I have to bring a certified copy of my birth certificate to my local office take a day off of work to fill out your special form to get it corrected , WHY?????.

my fiance tried to get a prepaid debt card and they told him that his ssn didnt belong to him. hes never changes his name and has the ss card to prove its his number. its causes problems with taxes and check cashing also. is wasnt entered wrong and its the same number hes had his entire life. what does he need to do to fix this so it doesnt cause any further issues?

how do you go about 'flagging' your ss number if you think someone has used your number ?

I am currently waiting for a new social security number mail notification so I can start my new job. It has been 2 weeks, given my reference number, could I find out if a number has been assigned/approved instead of waiting for the mail?
I'm in Canada, so the 855-881-0213 number does not seem to work, is there another number?

I recently was robbed six hours ago and my wallet was taking with id and social security card will I be able to obtain a new one with just a birth certificate and will I have to pay for a new id since I was robbed?

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration