Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

survivors benefits

My two minor sons receive survivors benefits because their (U.S citizen) father died in 2004. I have remarried and am thinking about moving to Kuwait. (My sons and I are U.S citizens as well.) I was wondering will they be able to still collect their survivors social security benefits in Kuwait or will they lose it? Your immediate responses will surely be welcomed. Thanks. :)



This is something you will want to verify with the SSA, but SSA documents indicate the following :

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can travel to or live in most foreign countries without affecting your Social Security benefits. There are, however, a few countries where we cannot send Social Security payments. These countries are Cambodia, Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam and areas that were in the former Soviet Union (other than Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia).

If you are not a US citizen, there are residency requirements for dependents and survivors as described here :

my son father die 7yrs ago (2003) i just found out his death sept 20 2010. Can my son receive social security survivors benefits and will he received the years he didnt receive. also his father is not on his birth certificate. what proof do i need?

This is worth contacting Social Security to examine this.

You should apply for survivors benefits promptly because, in some cases, benefits will be paid from the time you apply and not from the time the worker died.

Regarding proving paternity and affect on benefits, please see the following :

My brother who received disability checks each month passed away 18 months ago. He lived with my mom for 13 years after my dad passed away and took 100 % care of her. Both lived on the ss checks they received each month. My question is : Does my mom qualify for any benefits from my brother ss? We have since sold her house and she is in a group home. I am in charge of all her medical needs, food, personal products, prescpitons, appointments, etc. She does not qualify for Hospice.

Yes, this may be possible.

A deceased worker's dependent parents can receive benefits if they are age 62 or older. For parents to qualify as dependents, the deceased worker would have had to provide at least one-half of their support.

However, in general, when someone qualifies for multiple benefits (survivor of husband and/or son) only the highest benefit (not the sum of the two) is provided.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration