Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Apply for Social Security disability benefits

How do I apply for disability benefits?

You can start your disability claim immediately. There is no need to wait for an appointment.

Follow these four steps to apply online:

  1. Review the Adult Disability Checklist for details about what you will need before starting the online process;
  2. Fill out the online Disability Benefit Application to provide information regarding eligibility for payment;
  3. Fill out the online Adult Disability Report to provide medical and work history;  and
  4. Fill out, sign, and mail or take the Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration to your local Social Security office.

If you prefer to file in person, you can:

  • Call SSA's toll-free telephone number 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to make an appointment; or
  • Visit your local Social Security office.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

There are 16 Comments

My mother said that I can apply for disability over the phone and I was wondering if she was right. And if so, what do I need to apply over the phone?

I want to apply fro disability payments. I have been diagnose for two months thru Randall B.I have the doctors note. My social security is aaa-bb-cccc.

I have a hearing on the 8th May, but I have arrears in Child support and I have child support to pay monthly. Will these monies come directly from the disablility IF I am approved for them? also, will my children receive benefits on a monthly basis along with Child support, or will these benefits be instead of.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try to answer.

Social Security will garnish benefits to enforce child support or alimony obligations, so it is possible that any disability benefits you receive from Social Security may be garnished.

Your child can get benefits if he or she is your biological child, adopted child or dependent stepchild. If a child's parent is disable, the child may be entitled to Social Security benefits.

I have several Illnessesthat have combined to make me majorly depressed. ( I have Epilepsy, Type 2 DIabetes, Plantar Faciitis, ,PTSD,and SND, these have lead to Major Depression and Suicidal Thoughts) I have been told by 3 doctors I will not be able to return to the work I did before. I dont know where to turn, when I contacted, my local DOL Voc /Rehab dept. They acted like there was nothing they could do for me. They suggested I apply for SSDI. How do I know if I would qualify for SSDI?

To qualify for "normal" Social Security disability, you'll need a sufficient work record. You'll also need a "long-term" disability which will prevent you from engaging in "substantial gainful activity".

If you don't have a sufficient work record, have limited assets and income, and are disabled, you may qualify for SSI.

Epilepsy and PTSD are specific conditions which may qualify for disability benefits.

Bless you.

I have suffered with depression,anxiety, panic attacks for years some times I have been in the hospital and in an out patient program due to my inablity to do daily activities. I have still struggled with this for yeaars trying to cope but now I have been diagnoised with Begin Essential Tremors, Restless leg syndrome, Perodic limb movement disorder and vit b12 deffiencent I have been very fatigued no energy making very hard to work so my doctor took me out of work . I am also on a med that makes me tired it is hard to stay awake and not fell exhausted all the time. I want to know it I would be a to fill or if it is not enough to do so and I need more time. My one docotr says I can work reduced hours maybe not financially possible. some one help me...

I want to know how i can apply for my son?

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration