Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

If I attend college can i still recieve social security money?

I'm 18 and just graduated from high school. I am about to enroll in a community or technical college and I would like to know if I do will i be able to get money still?


Sponsored Links

You don't mention the type of benefits you are receiving - survivor benefits?

If survivor benefits, it seems unlikely you'll qualify once you've graduated from high school.

Here's an excerpt from this link :

Three months before your child's 18th birthday, we will send you a notice that benefits will end at age 18 unless your child is a full-time student at a secondary ( or elementary) school. If your child is younger than 19 and still attending a secondary or elementary school, he or she must notify us by completing a statement of attendance that has been certified by a school official. The benefits then will usually continue until he or she graduates, or until two months after reaching age 19, whichever comes first.

I am 18 and I am about to graduate and I need to know will I be able to go to Navarro College with out my SSI stopping at any point and time?

You'll want to confirm with the SSA for your particular case.

In general, benefits stop when a child reaches age 18 unless he or she is disabled or a full-time student attending a secondary (elementary) school, home school, alternate school, General Education Degree program or online school. Social Security does not pay benefits to college students age 18 or over.

Children age 18 and over who have a disability that began before age 22 may qualify for Social Security disability benefits from a parent's record. They must meet Social Security's definition of disability for an adult and have a parent who is receiving benefits or is deceased and worked long enough to become insured.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration