Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

You may be able to get other help

If you get SSI, you also may be able to get help from your state or county. For example, you may be able to get Medicaid, food stamps or other social services. Call your local social services department or public welfare office for information about the services available in your community.

Food stamps

If everyone in your home signs up for SSI or gets SSI, Social Security will help you fill out the food stamp application.

If you do not live in a home where everyone signs up for SSI or gets SSI, you must go to your local food stamp office to get food stamps. You can get more information about food stamps by visiting their website or calling them to get Food Stamps And Other Nutrition Programs (Publication No. 05-10100).


When you get SSI, you also may get Medicaid which helps pay doctor and hospital bills. Your local welfare or medical assistance office can give you information about Medicaid.

Help paying for Medicare

If you get Medicare and have low income and few resources, your state may pay your Medicare premiums and, in some cases, other Medicare expenses such as deductibles and coinsurance. Only your state can decide if you qualify. To find out if you do, contact your state or local welfare office or Medicaid agency. You can get more information about these programs from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) by calling the Medicare toll-free number, 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call TTY 1-877-486-2048.

You also may be able to get extra help paying for the annual deductibles, monthly premiums and prescription co-payments related to the Medicare prescription drug program (Part D). You may qualify for extra help if you have limited income (tied to the federal poverty level) and limited resources. These income and resource limits change each year and are not the same as the SSI income and resource limits. You can contact Social Security for the current numbers.

If you have both Medicaid with prescription drug coverage and Medicare, Medicare and SSI, or if your state pays for your Medicare premiums, you automatically will get this extra help and you don’t need to apply.




There are 6 Comments

I am currently on SSI, if I get married will it lower the amount i get or take it away all together

i need housing? and can i get help with paying rent to on a low 698 a month? i have never been on this and i want all iam intited to.

I am receiving SSI benefits and work, is there a way to be sure I am able to keep my benefits and still be able to work a little bit? I have seizures and it has made my work a lot harder to do. I am afraid of losing my job over it. Is there a program to find a better job with having a disablility? If I keep working will I lose my benefits?


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration