Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

SSI - Supplemental Security Income

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

There are 14 Comments

My sister has been getting SSI as a death benefit from the death of our mother, she;s been getting that since feb 05. Now in that timeframe my father has managed to spend 80% of that money on his property taxes. Since that money is for my sister and my father is living aboove his means what recourse does my sister have in this situation.

I suspect your sister is receiving Social Security survivor benefits, and not "SSI" which is intended for disabled folks with low incomes.

Here is a link regarding how a representative payee (likely your father) should use the funds he is entrusted with :

I have been told that not all states have auditory processing disorder under the list of disabilities. Does the state of Alabama? I have this disorder and want to find out how to go about applying for SSI for this.

I checked, but could not find anything in Social Security records regarding ADP. Although there is some variability in what Administrative Law Judges call a "disability", I have not seen state-by-state definitions of disability, at least for Social Security.

Note that the definition of disability under Social Security is fairly strict. You are considered disabled under Social Security rules if:

  • You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

My Social Security Card was stolen a couple of years ago. I had it in my purse because I had
just started a new job and needed to present it on the first day. I applied for a new card and did not realize till a year later that my name was spelled wrong on my card. The number was the same but my first name was spelled incorrectly. I have received a few calls this year from collection agencies asking for money thinking I am some Sandra C lady. I now have a new card with the correct name, but should I still be worried about identity theft, and if so who should I contact?

Kathryn from Las Vegas

our family is thinking about moving. Is social security the same everywhere or different rules and regulations for each state???? my daughter use to get social security..

What's the difference between SSI disability and SSI Retirement? I was told my mom could only get telephone assistance if it was on disability but not retirement. She just turned 65 and is still disabled and in a nursing home. we faxed over the telephone assistance paper back in April and they just got back with us and told us the above. Why take six months to get back with us after numerous calls. Where they just waiting till she turned 65 to deny us? A little frustrated here!!!

SSI (not 'regular' Social Security) makes monthly payments to people who have low income and few resources and are:

  • Age 65 or older;
  • Blind; or
  • Disabled.

So one could say 'SSI disability' is for qualified low-income disabled folks, and 'SSI retirement' is for qualified low-income seniors.

I'm not sure what 'telephone assistance' means -- help with paying for telephone service for qualified individuals?? I'm unaware of a federal program to help subsidize telephone service in this manner. You may be describing a state program which I'm unfamiliar with.

Sorry :(

My son is 32, developmentaly disabled due to a seizure disorder and lives at home. He received SSI when he was about 7-8 yrs old but had to many savings bonds to continue. He held a job for 10yrs but was laid off September 2009. He has used all of his resources (savings bonds and 401K). He is having trouble finding a new job with his limited skills and his unemployment will run out soon. What services can he apply for since he is physically able to work but mentally does not qualify for many positions?

At 91 my mother moved into a Independent Living Facility and was told that when she was going to run out of funds that she could apply for SSI benefits to help with the rent as her Social Security check would not cover this. Is this correct and what is needed (or who to speak with) to get her assistance with this?

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration