Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

You may be able to get Social Security

If you have worked and paid into Social Security long enough, you also may be eligible for Social Security benefits while you are receiving SSI. Retirement benefits can be paid to people age 62 or older and their families. Disability benefits go to people with disabilities and their families. Survivors benefits are paid to the families of workers who have died. If you think you may qualify for Social Security benefits, call the SSA to make an appointment to talk with a Social Security representative.




There are 11 Comments

hi there, um well im 16 yrs old almost 17, and i have been getting money from my dads death since i was about 4. Im moving out in a couple of weeks and i would like to have that money go in my bank account because honestly my mom just uses it for herself even though she gets money and so does my little sister. i don't trust her with that money at all, and the money is in my name so i need answer bad, i would go to the office but im in school. please help

You may be able to receive SSI in addition to monthly Social Security benefits, if you have low income and few resources. Visit our Supplemental Security Income webpage for more information on the eligibility requirements for SSI.

However, I am not sure what benefits you may qualify for.

Since you're receiving SSI at age 56, I assume you have been found to be disabled. In this case, you may qualify for "ordinary" Social Security disability. Or, if you're a widow(er) and disabled, you my qualify for survivor benefits as a disabled survivor.

To qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, you normally need to be age 62 or greater.

Please contact the SSA for your particular case.

I used to get ssi benifits as a kid but missed a doc apt and lost them. I am wanting to get them back on but its been a year or so since they were canceled. How do I get them back on do I just need to reapply and I also have a kid now if I am eligable for benifits does that make my child eligible also? Havent gotten benifits on my own and my mom isnt in good health to help me get them back on. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks

I would contact the SSA directly for this.

SSI is available to anyone who has limited income and assets and who is:

  • aged (age 65 or older); or
  • blind; or
  • disabled.

I couldn't find information directly about restarting (renewing) SSI, but the following report may be of value.

Youth who initially become eligible for Supplemental Security Income under the definition of disability for children must have their eligibility redetermined upon attaining age 18, using the definition of disability for adults. According to the report, about 60 percent of youth receiving SSI are redetermined to be eligible for SSI as adults.

In other words, about 40 percent of children have their SSI benefits discontinued when they become adults.

Can I apply for social security widower benefit since my husband died sept. 2002?

Assuming your husband had a qualifying work record, you can receive reduced survivor benefits as early as age 60 or full benefits at full retirement age or older. If you are disabled, you can receive benefits as early as age 50.

Note if you remarry before age 60 you will lose widow's benefits unless the later marriage ends in divorce or death.

Put ur money in another account!! and don't give her ur account number.

I get SSI and my mother's name is on my checks and they go into her bank. Can I own a checking even if she has my checks going into her bank.

I'm not sure I understand the question. It sounds like your mother is your "representative payee". If you're under age 18, generally you must have a representative payee who will receive your payments and use them for your benefit.

Depending on your age, you may be able to open your own bank account. In some states, you may be able to open your own bank account at age 16.

However, your mother will continue to receive your checks unless you are able to petition the SSA to receive the payments directly.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration