Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Representative Payee

I started Social Security at 62 so that my child would get benefits until she graduated from high school. I am the Representative Payee for this account. Since I am divorced from her mother, do I need to tell her mother about this accumulating benefit? Does her mother have any say in how this money is to be spent? Can I just pay my half of her educational expenses from this and expect her mother to pay her share?

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

What Social Security May Look Like in 2035

Interesting article which looks at how Social Security may fare in the year 2035.

Highlights :

* The worker-to-beneficiary ratio will drop from 2018's 2.8 to 2.2-to-1.

* Workers will have to wait longer to receive "full" benefits

* Social Security's "trust fund" will be exhausted

* Substantial benefit cuts may be needed

* Payroll taxes will be critical to pay for benefits

* Social Security benefits will continue to decline due to inflation

Four Factors that Determine Your Social Security Retirement Benefit

Your Social Security retirement benefit largely depends on the following four factors :

* Your work history => Longer yields a higher benefit

* Your earnings history => Higher earnings yields higher benefit (at decreasing rate)

* Your birth year => Born earlier means higher relative benefit

* Your claiming age => Starting benefits later means higher benefit


Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration