Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Receiving full survivor benefits early due to hardship

My husband passed away May 20, 2009. I am 58 years old, and I have been told that I due not qualify to receive survivor benefits until 2 1/2 years from the time of his death. I receive a portion of his retirement fund monthly, which isn't enough for me to live on. I applied for welfare, yet they told me that the retirement money I received was approximately 75 dollars too much for me to receive ANY help from them. I am currently behind on the home we shared for 35 years, and having trouble paying the rest of my day to day bills as well. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder in the past, yet have no health insurance to receive any treatment. My question is, is there ANY way I can receive my deceased husbands SS benefits sooner than I have been told I can? There must be SOMETHING that can be done. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Recent Content

Four Common Social Security Claiming Mistakes

1. Not knowing your full retirement age (FRA). 'Full benefit' retirement age is rising beyond age 65 to age 67.

2. Not knowing you can file for benefits three months in advance of receiving income

3. Forgetting Social Security benefits can be subject to income tax.

4. Thinking early filers can later receive 'full benefits'. If filing early, your benefits are permanently reduced.

Common Mistakes About Social Security

A recent poll found about half of respondents made mistakes on the following :

1. Retirement benefits will not be reduced if I claim at age 65 => FALSE. Full retirement age is rising.

2. A spouse can receive Social Security even if they have no earnings history => TRUE

3. If my spouse dies, that will have no effect on my Social Security payment => FALSE

4. Social Security benefits depend only on my earnings history, not when I claim => FALSE

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration