Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration


Virginians Can Now Replace Social Security Cards Online

Until the recent past, everyone had to visit a Social Security office to replace a Social Security card. However, over the past couple years the Social Security Administration has rolled out a program whereby residents of certain states can now replace their Social Security card online.

Now, Virginia is added to list list of states with online Social Security card replacement.

Residents of 20 States and DC Can Get Replacement Social Security Cards Online

Residents of the following states can get replacement Social Security cards online :

You can can a replacement Social Security card online at if you :

* Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address;
* Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
* Have a driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the following:

How do I replace my lost Social Security card?

Citizens of some states can get free replacement cards online

Until 2016, the Social Security Administration (SSA) required you to either visit a Social Security office or mail in documentation to receive a replacement Social Security card.

However, the SSA is rolling out a program whereby adult citizens of an increasing number of states can receive replacement Social Security cards online at The SSA uses public records from these states to verify your identity online.

What if my card is lost or stolen?

You can replace your card or your child’s card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in noncitizen status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

To get a replacement card, you will need to:


What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?

If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship for new and replacement cards. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents.



Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Subscribe to RSS - Card

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration