Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

HELP!! Receiving benefits after move to direct deposit

Can anybody tell me what we are supposed to do to assure we recieve our checks next mont? I keep hearing that we have to open a bank account & get my SSI checks transfered there? But what if you dont have a bank account?

Do I have to get one of those prepaid credit cards & get it transfered to that? & if so? How do I go about doing that? Or, will the SSI office just send us some kind of card that we just have to activate at the beginning of each month?

I have heard so many different things regaurding this that I just have NO CLUE what to do? I have tried so many times to call the SSI office & I just can't catch a break?! I can NEVER get a person on the other end & it is very aggrevating?!

If anybody out there can help me out regaurding this subject I would greatly appriciate it?! My husband passed 10 years ago, our daughter & I both recieve a small check each month but I hear that I am out of time? They say, next month, everything is gonna be different? Anyhow, sorry for rambling! & thank you for taking the time to read this!

Confused Widow

Sponsored Links


Essentially everyone must switch to electronic payments by March 1, 2013. If you don't, the U.S. Department of the Treasury may send your benefits via the Direct Express® card program to avoid an interruption in payment.

If you don't have a bank account, you may want to consider getting one. Many banks offer a no-fee account if the account has at least one direct, regular deposit, which your Social Security deposit will qualify.

The Direct Express® card is a debit card you can use to access your benefits. And you don't need a bank account.

With the Direct Express® card program, the SSA will deposit your federal benefit payment directly into your card account. Your monthly benefits will be available on your payment day — on time, every time. You can use the card to make purchases, pay bills or get cash at thousands of locations. And most transactions are free.


Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration