Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

Social Security Payment Checks

From the Social Security Handbook


  • assignment or transfer prohibited, §129
  • change of address, §123
  • child payments, §132
  • direct deposit, §122
  • endorsement, §124
  • expedited payments, §130
  • husband/wife payments, §131
  • issuer, §120
  • lost or stolen, §123
  • mailing, §123
  • overpayment, refund of benefits, §135
  • received outside the U.S., §123
  • return of, §134

Payment dates, §121


Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

There are 10 Comments

I am an American citizen living in Europe. I want to sign up for Medicare Part B (already have Part A). I have no banking account in the US to have my payments sent from. Is my only option a bank check from my country (rarely done here) made out to Medicare every 3 months? This is very expensive when I have an online bank account to send the payments from. It's not possible to use a credit card to pay my quarterly Part B payments?

Credit card payment is possible.

If you get a monthly benefit payment from the Social Security Administration (SSA), the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB), or the Civil Service, you must have your Part B premiums deducted from your monthly benefit payment.

If you don't get any of these benefit payments, Medicare will bill you directly for your premiums. You can choose to pay by check or money order, credit card, or have it automatically deducted from your bank account.

Payments cannot be taken over the phone.

After you receive a bill for your Medicare premiums from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), you should mail your payment with the bottom portion of your CMS-500 form to the following address:

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Medicare Premium Collection Center
P.O. Box 790355
St. Louis, MO 63179-0355

To make sure your payment is processed on time, payments made by check, money order, or credit card must be received by the 25th of the month.

If you are having financial difficulty in paying your premiums there are Medicare Savings Programs to help pay all or part of your Medicare Part A and/or Part B premiums. To qualify for these programs, you must have Part A (hospital insurance) and limited income and resources. To get application and enrollment information or to check your application status, please call your State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) office.

If you have any questions about your Social Security payment, please call the Social Security Administration (1-800-772-1213).

If you have any questions about direct billing your Part A or Part B premium payments please call 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227).

My daughter graduated June 7th. She received a payment for June, Will thay ask for that back? What is the cut off date for payments received? I am afraid to cash the check for fear they will ask for it back?

Generally, Social Security seems to have a good procedure for notifying children of when their benefits end. For example, see this :

The definition of when retirement benefits end is pretty strict. For example see this :

However, I have not seen such a strict definition of what to do for child's benefits.

I recommend contacting Social Security directly for this.

can i see my benifits online. i need a print out but cant make it to the office is there any way of seeing them online?

There are a couple things you can request online.

  1. Request a Proof of Income letter. You can get a letter that verifies your Social Security benefit information. (Includes Medicare and SSI)
  2. Get a Form 1099/1042S -- Social Security Benefit Statement. Replace the lost, damaged, or missing tax summary of your Social Security benefits for 2010. (Not available for SSI)

i need a copy of my ssi and srdi payments for july,augest and septerber
is there some way i can print them out ?

susan b

I'm unaware of a way to request copies of past benefits statements. If you use direct deposit, you can check previous bank statements to see the amount deposited.

You can also request a "Proof of Income" letter.

The letter can be used as proof of your:

  • income when you apply for a loan or mortgage;
  • income for assisted housing or other state or local benefits;
  • current Medicare health insurance coverage;
  • retirement status;
  • disability; and/or
  • age.

You can select the information you would like on it.

How do i check for my payment, I have not receive my payment, it was suppose to recieved it by 21st.

If you normally receive your check by mail, wait three days after the date you normally receive your check before calling the SSA.

To report a late, missing, or stolen check, contact us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

You should also consider direct deposit for future payments.

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration