Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration

What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?

If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship for new and replacement cards. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents.


Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

There are 8 Comments

I found birth certificate is 2 year older than written at refugee camp by mistake 30 years ago?
What step I can do to change?

Here is the standard procedure to correct your age :

  • Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
  • Show documents proving:
    • U.S. citizenship (if you have not previously established your citizenship);
    • Immigration status;
    • Age; and
    • Identity.
  • Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

I got a social security card that says valid for work only with INS Autorization, but I became a citizen in 2003 and never got a new one what should I do, I live in San Diego to which office should I go?

To change the citizenship shown on SSA's records:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

* Identity
* U.S. citizenship

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. The SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to will be returned to you along with a receipt.

My husband recently adjusted his legal status in the states, he was working under a different social for 8 years, can we transfer all his previous earnings to his new social?

I just became an LPR. Can you please advise what I will need to do with my SSN so that it is updated and any restrictions/limitations removed?

Sponsored Links

Not affiliated with the US Social Security Administration